Easy, Hearty Grilled Pizza Burger Recipe
This recipe takes what you love about pizza—the tomato sauce, the mozzarella, and the seasonings like oregano—and adds them to a juicy turkey burger. Bursting with flavor, as well as fiber, this meal is way more nutritious than the average pizza slice. And after making it, you might just agree that it's way more delicious, too.
The best part about the pizza burger is that it's super easy to customize it to your liking. Can't imagine pizza without pepperoni? Add a slice. Love crunchy bell peppers and onions? You can add those, too. However you make it, this pizza burger will satisfy your cravings for both foods.
Nutrition: 451 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated), 415 mg sodium, 17 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 19 g protein
Makes 4 servings
1–1 1/4 lb lean ground turkey
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 slices uncured sliced pepperoni (such as Hormel or Applegate Naturals) (optional)
4 thin slices mozzarella cheese (3 to 4 oz total) (optional)
4 sprouted whole-grain buns or whole-grain buns, split and toasted
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/3–1/2 cup jarred pizza sauce, warmed
How to Make It
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, onion, red pepper, oregano, fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Shape into 4-inch-thick patties. Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil.
- For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (165°F), turning once halfway through grilling. If desired, top each patty with a pepperoni slice and then a cheese slice for the last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- To assemble, place grilled patties on bun bottoms. Top with basil, pizza sauce, and bun tops.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Best Ramen Recipes To Make This Winter
- – I Made Ross' Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich With the Moist-maker—& It's Too Much
- – 13 Delicious Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- – 7 Tips to Expertly Brine a Turkey, According to Chefs
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback
- – 7 Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Can Make in Your Air Fryer
- – 7 Holiday Desserts You Can Enjoy if You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 25 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)