Honey Miso Salmon & Spinach Burgers with Watercress, Pickled Ginger & Cucumbers
Between the savory fish, the sour pickles, and the sweet honey miso, your taste buds will be doing a little dance when you bite into this salmon and spinach burger. Top with pickled and fresh veggies on a toasted brioche bun, this salmon and spinach burger is going to be the hit of your summer backyard cookout.
For even more burger ideas, check out our list of 13+ Best Healthy Hamburger Recipes.
Makes 4 servings
1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pickled ginger, plus 2 tablespoons pickling liquid
1 medium shallot, halved, peeled, and roughly chopped
3 cups baby spinach
1 pound filet skinless salmon ( sockeye), cubed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup mayo
Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp white miso paste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
1 Tbsp honey
4 sesame seed brioche buns
1 1/2 cups watercress or mesclun salad greens for topping
How to Make It
- Place the cucumbers in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid and a pinch of salt, toss to combine. Set the pickled ginger aside in a small bowl.
- Place the shallot and spinach in a food processor. Pulse a few times until finely minced. Add the salmon and pulse a few times until the mixture is well incorporated but still somewhat chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the egg, panko, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon miso, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Using your hands, form the mixture into 4 even patties about 6 ounces each.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the salmon patties and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Turn and continue to cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes more. Brush the patties lightly with honey then turn and brush with the remaining honey. Turn off the heat.
- If you want to grill these, chill them until very firm, at least 30 minutes. Prepare the grill for direct heat. Brush the grill lightly with oil. Brush both sides of the patties with oil. Grill the salmon burgers until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining mayonnaise with the remaining miso paste and half the lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. If you like things spicy add a little sriracha to the mayonnaise.
- Toss the watercress in a small bowl with the remaining lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lightly toast the buns. Spread the inside with miso mayonnaise. Top each with salmon patties, pickled cucumber slices, pickled ginger, and watercress.
More content from Recipes
- – Professional Chefs' 16 Quickest 5-Ingredient Summer Recipes
- – 20 Healthy Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes Perfect for Weight Loss
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Cooking Tips That Really Work, Say Experts
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Cooking Tips You Should Never Use, Say Experts
- – 5 Worst Cooking Mistakes When Making Mashed Potatoes
- – We Tested 3 Celeb Chefs' Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes & This Is the Best
- – 12 Surprising Recipes That Every Coffee Lover Needs to Try Immediately