Cheesy Keto Pizza Cups
No matter your dietary denomination, you're going to want to eat pizza. And keto dieters are no exception. Luckily, toppings like cheese and pepperoni are completely approved on keto. But what do you do about the rest of the components? That's where this keto pizza cups recipe comes in handy.
The dough is the first thing that needs to be ketofied. Most alternative pizza crusts use cauliflower as a base, but for this recipe we're using cream cheese and mozzarella, mixed with two alternative flours. The result is a crust that holds its own in both shape and flavor. Almond flour is an ideal low-carb flour and a hardworking ingredient—it's a great source of vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Coconut flour adds a little sweetness as well as medium chain triglycerides (MCT), which help weight loss in several ways.
For a keto pizza, you'll want to find a tomato sauce with no added sugar. Rao's pizza sauce, besides tasting amazing, is lower in carbs than many other sauces and contains no added sugar.
Tip: Want to load your mini keto pizzas with even more fat? Top them with sliced olives and a drizzle of olive oil.
Makes 2 servings
1 oz full fat cream cheese
1 1/2 cups hand-grated whole milk mozzarella cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup Bob's Red Mill almond flour
2 Tbsp Bob's Red Mill coconut flour
1/3 cup Rao's pizza sauce
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 cup mini pepperoni slices
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream cheese and mozzarella and microwave for 1 minute, stopping several times to stir. Add in the beaten egg, and quickly stir until a ball is formed. Knead by hand, adding additional almond flour if needed, until lightly sticky.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Set a piece between two sheets of greased parchment paper and roll out with a rolling pin. Repeat with the rest, then press each piece of dough into greased muffin tins to form small dough cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and top each with sauce, cheddar, and pepperoni. Return to oven for five minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from muffin tins and serve.