Plant-Based Lentil and Kale Tots Casserole
Tater tots are a childhood favorite, and luckily there's been a proliferation of other types of veggie puffs on the market that are just as delicious as the original. We've used these new veggie tots as inspiration to build a healthier, plant-based casserole, one that can be enjoyed for breakfast. It includes lentils, eggs, a layer of gooey cheddar, and perfectly spiced onions.
A healthy plant-based brunch is served!
Makes 8 servings
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced white onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp ground fennel
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cayenne
One 14-oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup whole milk
3 large eggs
2 packets Dr Praegers frozen kale puffs
Chives, for garnish
Hot sauce, for serving
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, heat the oil and cook onion, garlic powder, thyme, sage, fennel, salt, pepper, and cayenne over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add rinsed lentils and maple syrup. Cook 5 minutes to combine flavors. Gently press into a single layer. Top with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Whisk milk and eggs together. Pour over top slowly. Top with a layer of frozen kale puffs.
- Place uncovered casserole in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until the sides are bubbling and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve with hot sauce.
More content from Recipes
- – 6 Lower-Carb Breakfast Recipes to Keep You Satisfied Through Lunch
- – 5-Day Diabetes Meal Plan to Balance Blood Sugar
- – The 30 Best-Ever Weight Loss Smoothies
- – 4 Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Manage Diabetes
- – Egg Muffins with Spinach and Feta
- – Almond Cherry Smoothie Packs
- – Pecan Pie Muffins
- – Crunchy Peach Parfaits