Low-Sugar Orange Dream Cream Puffs Recipe
Having a sweet treat is always a lovely way to end the day, but it doesn't always have to break the calorie budget, especially when it comes to the sugar! The USDA recommends keeping sugar consumption to 10 percent of overall calories, which can be quite difficult with all of those added sugars hidden within some of our favorite foods. So if keeping sugar consumption to 10 percent is nutritionally recommended, it almost feels like dessert is something to throw out altogether, right?
Wrong! Thanks so some clever healthy dessert recipes—such as this orange cream puff recipe—dessert can still be enjoyed without having all of that extra sugar.
This dessert is also naturally sweetened, thanks to the can of mandarin orange segments in the recipe. It gives the cream puff a tangy and sweet flavor, while still keeping that sugar count really low. Topped with powdered sugar, these orange cream puffs are so dreamy, the guests at your next dinner party won't even be able to tell how low-sugar it is! Now, get the recipe below for these orange cream puffs, and get ready to enjoy your new favorite low-sugar dessert.
Nutrition: 195 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated), 190 mg sodium, 5 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein
Makes 12 servings
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 11-ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large baking sheet. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Immediately add flour all at once; stir vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Cool 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and firm. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until light and fluffy.
- Before serving, cut tops from cream puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Fill with the Orange Cream and mandarin orange sections. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
More content from Recipes
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 35 Classic Southern Dishes Your Grandmother Used to Make
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Chocolate Desserts That Everyone (Secretly) Loves
- – No Bake Lemon Cake Pops
- – 25 Old-Fashioned Desserts That Deserve a Comeback
- – These 15 Forgotten Comfort Foods Need a Comeback
- – Berry Banana Fro-Whip Recipe
- – 21 Easter Dessert Recipes Ready In 20 Minutes (Or Less!)