The idea of baking and frosting a multi-tiered chocolate cake would sound very daunting to most people, but these little self-contained parcels of joy are the lazy human's cake, the type of dessert that makes a non-baker feel like a pastry expert when they emerge from the oven, holding a beautiful tide of melted chocolate.
You'll impress all your party guests as you crack open the middle and watch the flood of lava flow freely onto your plate—and eventually into your eagerly awaiting mouth. Did we mention that these cakes have only 320 calories? Yep, this chocolate molten cake has it all! It's a delight for dessert, and it especially makes a very special treat for a dinner party in our opinion. Now let there be cake: get baking and enjoy!
Nutrition: 320 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated), 31 g carbohydrates
5 oz bittersweet chocolate (at least 60 percent cacao), plus 4 chunks for the cake centers
2 Tbsp butter
2 egg yolks
1⁄4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄2 Tbsp instant coffee or espresso (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly butter four 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
- Bring a few cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Place a glass mixing bowl over the pan (but not touching the water) and add the chocolate and butter.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until both the chocolate and butter have fully melted. Keep warm.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, the flour, vanilla, and instant coffee if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Stick one good chunk of chocolate in the center of each ramekin.
- Bake the cakes on the center rack for 8 to 10 minutes, until the exterior is just set (the center should still be mostly liquid).
- The cakes can be eaten straight from the ramekins, but it's more dramatic to slide them on to plates (after letting them rest for a minute or two), where the molten chocolate can flow freely.