Officials Find Half-Ton of Cocaine In This Coffee Brand's Factory
Police were quite surprised to discover that a recent shipment to a Nespresso factory in Switzerland contained not just coffee—but also 500 kilos of cocaine.
Inside storage containers with coffee was also $50 million worth of the drug. Swiss police swarmed the facility Monday after workers discovered an undetermined white substance while unloading bags of freshly delivered coffee beans.
Over 1,100 pounds of cocaine were discovered across five shipping containers. Police say it was all delivered in one day by train and was 80% pure.
After investigating further, authorities say they believe the shipment came from Brazil and was destined for the European market. Despite the drugs being stored in the containers, Nespresso said in a statement that the product is still safe.
"The substance in question did not come into contact with any of our products or production equipment used to make our products," Nespresso said in a statement. "As a police investigation is underway, we cannot share more details. We want to reassure consumers that all our products are safe to consume."
The find shook up the town of Fribourg, Switzerland a bit, with the head of security for the town calling it an "exceptional" find.
"It's the first time we've had such a find," Marc Andrey, the town's head of security, said according to Euronews. "I think it's also one of the biggest seizures in Switzerland."
For more coffee news, check out The #1 Worst Cocktail For Your Heart, Says Dietitian.
More content from Groceries
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now
- – Costco Just Brought Back This Beloved Mini Bakery Item
- – The Price of This Costco Deli Item Has Gotten Out of Hand, Members Say
- – Skittles, Starburst, and Life Savers Are Being Pulled From Grocery Store Shelves Right Now
- – This Beloved Sparkling Water Brand Just Released Four Game-Changing New Drinks
- – This Expanding Costco Rival Doesn't Require a Membership
- – 50 Bottled Drinks to Always Leave on Grocery Store Shelves