Popeyes' Savage Move Against McDonald's Heats Up Fast-Food Chicken Wars
The hype around McDonald's new chicken sandwich releases is reaching its peak, but some fast-food competitors are finding ways to use the publicity behind the launch to their advantage. Popeyes, in particular, who is defending its title as the champion of chicken sandwiches, just pulled a fast one on McDonald's by using its latest marketing ploy to their favor.
After McDonald's announced CHKNDrop.com was a new website where the speediest fans could sign up to try the new Crispy Chicken Sandwich ahead of its drop on Feb. 24, Popeyes purchased all of the other domains with a similar spelling to offer fans who landed on those sites their own famous chicken sandwich for free. (Related: McDonald's Is Making These 8 Major Upgrades.)
"If you're a chronic misspeller, you have some guarantee that you won't get a 404 not found message if you misspell their [website] when trying to type in your search bar. You may just find a free Popeyes Chicken Sandwich instead," Popeyes said in a statement.
In other words, if you were one of the first 500 McDonald's fans to misspell "CHKNDrop.com," you were redirected to the Popeyes website where you could claim a coupon for the freebie. Meanwhile, McDonald's early access capsule, which included merch like hoodies and vinyl records, sold out within a minute of activation, according to Business Insider.
Popeyes isn't the only chain keeping a close eye on McDonald's new chicken sandwiches. Competitors like Burger King, Wendy's, and KFC, have all announced their own new releases in the category since McDonald's news became public in November. The Chicken Sandwich Wars are raging on like it's 2019!
For more on fast-food trends, check out the 6 Most Anticipated Fast-Food Menu Items Launching This Year, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – America's Favorite Pasta Chain Is Bringing Back This Iconic Deal
- – This New Texas Roadhouse Product Sold Out in Minutes—Here's How to Get It
- – This Sandwich Chain Has Gone From Struggling To Growing With 19 New Locations
- – 4 Once-Favorite Pizza Chains in America That Went Out of Business
- – The #1 Unhealthiest Steak at Every Popular Steakhouse Chain
- – Taco Bell Will Bring Back One Highly Requested Discontinued Item—and You Get To Choose Which One
- – America's Largest Sandwich Chain Is Facing a Shortage of This Menu Staple, Insiders Claim
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound