Walmart and Target Just Changed This COVID-19 Policy
It's been nearly two years since the first pandemic safety rules were introduced in grocery stores across the country. Since then, precautions have been added and some have ended—and two major retail chains just announced another major change.
In mid-February, Walmart sent out a staff memo telling employees that if they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, they no longer need to wear a mask in the store while working, starting March 31. And now, Target is following suit and taking it a step further Winsight Grocery Business recently discovered.
(For more info about what's happening at the supermarket near you, here are 6 Things You'll See at Costco This Year.)
In an update to the Frequently Asked Questions page on its website, Target now offers this response in regards to shoppers needing to wear masks in stores:
"The health and safety of our guests and team members have been Target's top priority throughout the pandemic. As COVID-19 cases continue to decline across the country, Target will not require our U.S. team members or guests to wear masks, as local regulations allow. We'll follow all state and local COVID-19 safety regulations and encourage our team members and guests to consult the latest public health guidance, get vaccinated and make decisions to keep themselves and their families safe."
The retail chain says it's still providing employees with face masks and COVID-19 tests. Walmart employs about 1.6 million people across the country, and Target about 350,000.
As these two grocery stores—along with state and local governments from coast to coast—make new changes, other grocery stores may follow.
In the meantime, check out Walmart Is Trying to Keep Grocery Prices Down By Doing This.
More content from Groceries
- – Your Local Walmart May Look Very Different Soon
- – This Unique Costco Perk Is Only Available in a Few States
- – 8 Chocolate Brands That Use the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – A Slew of Food Poisoning Cases Is Being Tied to This Meal Kit Service
- – Costco Food Courts in This State Have a New Menu Item
- – Walmart Just Launched a Revolutionary Way To Buy Groceries
- – This Beloved Grocery Macaroni and Cheese Mix Is Changing Its Name and Packaging
- – The Costco Bakery Just Brought Back This Beloved Summer Dessert