A Plant-Based, Grain-Free Breakfast Burrito
There's nothing like a hearty breakfast burrito when you need comfort food in the morning—whether you've had a rough night or just need an extra energy boost from a hearty breakfast. To give it an additional nutritional punch, we developed this plant-based burrito that doesn't pack a ton of fat and sodium. This cleaner burrito version uses a ground plant-based faux meat mix instead of real meat, black beans, eggs, and a cassava flour tortilla.
If you're looking for gluten-free or grain-free tortillas, Siete Foods is a great place to start. With different flavored options (like one with chickpeas, for example), you'll find the texture you love best from their wide selection. The plant-based ground 'meat' we used is from Lightlife, boasting 20 grams of protein per serving with only a handful of ingredients (it's also gluten-free to go with those tortillas).
To prep these ahead of time (and if you're a 1- or 2-person household), wrap each burrito in aluminum foil and freeze in a single layer, then seal in an airtight container. To reheat, remove foil, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave until thoroughly heated.
Makes 6 servings
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 packet hot taco seasoning blend (or make your own seasoning)
One 12-oz container Lightlife Plant-Based Ground
3 large eggs
One 15 1/2-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
6 Siete Cassava Flour Wraps
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make It
- In a medium skillet, heat the canola oil and sautée onion and bell pepper over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally, cooking for about 3 minutes until onions are translucent and bell pepper is soft. Add taco seasoning and stir. Add Lightlife ground to pan and use a spoon to press into a single layer, chopping into small pieces. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until completely browned.
- In a separate small pan over medium heat, coat pan with cooking spray, add eggs, and whisk into a scramble. Remove from heat.
- Heat cassava wraps a few seconds on the stovetop. To assemble the burrito, layer the Lightlife ground, scrambled eggs, black beans, and cheese. Top with hot sauce and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately or wrap and freeze for later.
More content from Recipes
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – 15 Quick & Healthy Potato Salad Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 8 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest
- – 5 Best Recipes to Prevent Aging Bones, Says Dietitian
- – 5 High-Protein Breakfast Recipes For Belly Fat Loss, Says Science
- – Mini Banana Pancake Bites Recipe