Shrimp Taco With Pickled Onions Recipe
Are you looking to make a twist to your usual Taco Tuesday? Switch up the usual ground beef taco combinations and try making a different type of fish taco with this shrimp taco recipe instead! You can make this entire meal in less than 30 minutes, with the cook time only taking you about five or 10 minutes!
While this recipe calls for precooked shrimp, it is possible to make this recipe with raw shrimp as well. You can find bags of raw shrimp in the frozen food section. For tacos, I recommend snagging a bag of medium shrimp, because they are an easier size to bite in a taco.
To cook raw shrimp, follow the same instructions in terms of marinating and roasting in the oven. However, it may take longer than the precooked shrimp, so keep a close eye on them. When the shrimp turns pink and starts to curl, you know it’s ready. Remove the peel on the bottom of each shrimp before serving.
Here’s how to pickle onions
Making homemade pickled onions is easy. Thinly slice a red onion, and place it in a large jar. In a medium bowl, mix together a cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of salt. Once the salt and sugar dissolve, pour the mixture into the jar with the onions. Store in the fridge for at least an hour before serving, but for best results, make a batch the night before making tacos.
Makes 4 servings
1 pound medium cooked shrimp, thawed
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon sriracha
Limes, cut in quarters
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the thawed shrimp in a large bowl with olive oil and taco seasoning. Let it marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, lime juice, and sriracha. Store in the fridge for later.
- Using a slotted spoon, move the shrimp to a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 6-8 minutes to heat up the shrimp (because it’s precooked).
- Serve on warmed tortillas with your prepared sriracha crema, shredded cabbage, pickled onions, and slices of lime.
RELATED: Easy, healthy, 350-calorie recipe ideas you can make at home.