This Is the #1 High-Protein Meal for Weight Loss
Let's play a game of word association. "Burgers" and "weight loss." If you're thinking things like "impossible," "hell no," or "the most frightening pair since the Hilton sisters," you're not alone. Even if you skip the drive-thru, burgers are fatty and packed with cholesterol, right? Not necessarily. You can eat burgers and actually lose weight. Choose grass-fed beef, which is packed with healthy omega-3 fats. Go for high-fiber, gluten free buns made from healthy grains like brown rice, millet or buckwheat. Top with fat-burning spices, and go nuts with the veggies. Here's our recipe for the Ultimate Classic Beef Burger, courtesy of the new Zero Belly Cookbook!
CLASSIC BEEF BURGER
SERVES: 4 COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
1 lb extra lean ground beef (at least 90%)
3 tbsp Black Pepper Marinade (see recipe below)
1 tsp kosher salt
4 gluten-free english muffins or burger buns, toasted
1 beefsteak tomato, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
8 leaves Bibb lettuce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
• In a large bowl mix the ground beef, Black Pepper Marinade, and salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
• While the beef is marinating, turn on the outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium high heat.
• Form the beef mixture into 4 patties and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. The center should be pink and juicy.
• Spread each toasted burger bun top with 1⁄2 tablespoon ketchup and 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Place a burger on each toasted burger bun bottom, and top with slices of red tomato, 2 lettuce leaves, and a burger top.
PER SERVING: 343 calories / 9 g fat / 41 g carb / 2 g fiber / 25 g protein
BLACK PEPPER MARINADE
YIELD: 1 CUP COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
1⁄2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
3 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
• Grind the coriander seeds, peppercorns and cumin seeds in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder until very fine.
• Add the remaining ingredients to a small food processor, and puree until smooth. Add the ground spices and process to incorporate.
• Store in a BPA-free glass jar in the fridge or up to one week.
PER TBSP: 47 calories / 3 g fat / 4 g carb / 0 g fiber / 0 g protein
More content from Recipes
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – 15 New Twists on Old-Fashioned Dinner Recipes
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – The Best Classic Recipes Your Grandma Used to Make