Low-Calorie Turkey Reuben Sandwich Recipe
For anyone who has spent time eating in New York, Reubens invariably conjure up the image of an oversize deli sandwich stacked so high with peppery beef you'd need an unhingeable snake jaw just to get your teeth around it—and a generous belt for waistline adjustment in the postprandial aftermath. We've taken the indulgent essence of the Jewish deli staple and distilled it to a sandwich with substance and soul, but without half a day's calories and a day and a half's worth of saturated fat, which is exactly what nearly every major establishment offers with their version.
Nutrition: 365 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated), 1,120 mg sodium
1⁄4 cup ketchup
1⁄4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
2 Tbsp relish
Few dashes Tabasco sauce
Black pepper to taste
1 lb turkey pastrami (or, failing that, regular turkey)
4 slices low-fat Swiss cheese
8 slices rye bread toasted
1 cup bottled sauerkraut
How to Make It
- Combine the ketchup, mayo, relish, and Tabasco in a bowl and mix. Season with a bit of black pepper. Set the dressing aside. (Note: You can always skip this step and buy a bottle of Russian or Thousand Island dressing, but it's never as good as the homemade stuff.)
- Divide the pastrami into four portions, pile on plates, and top each with a slice of cheese. Microwave briefly, about 30 seconds each, to melt the cheese.
- Lay out four slices of the rye bread on a cutting board. Top each with sauerkraut and then pastrami and cheese. Drizzle with the dressing. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
Eat This Tip
Even though our Reuben seeks to be a healthier version than the one at your local deli, that shouldn't stop you from picking up a few slices of turkey pastrami at your local delicatessen. Just make sure to follow this recipe's tips to order yours as a healthier version!
More content from Recipes
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – The Best Classic Recipes Your Grandma Used to Make