Creamy Whole30 Mushroom Soup
How can a soup taste this creamy without dairy? We're surprised too, but the combination of coconut milk and chicken stock produces a surprisingly smooth, rich texture.
We like a mix of button and shiitake mushrooms for this creamy Whole30 mushroom soup, but feel free to swap in whatever you have on hand. The miso paste may seem like an unusual addition, but it adds a savory punch of umami flavor that elevates this soup from ordinary to must-make.
Makes 4 servings
3 Tbsp coconut oil
8 oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
8 oz shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup tapioca flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 tsp miso paste
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp fresh tarragon, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook over, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tapioca flour, chicken stock, coconut milk, and miso paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add the thyme, nutmeg, tarragon, salt, and pepper, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup to a smooth consistency.
More content from Recipes
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Lunch Recipes That Will Save You Money
- – 6 Healthy Lunch Ideas for High Blood Sugar
- – 10 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest
- – 14 Healthy Old-Fashioned Sandwich Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – Healthy Lunch Recipes That Take 10 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 35+ Easy Recipes Anyone Can Make at Home
- – 33 Best Grilling Recipes on the Planet