Whole30 Spicy Turkey Meatballs with Sweet Potato Fries
These lean turkey baked meatballs pack a punch of spice and are the perfect comfort food for a Whole30 diet. They are flavorful thanks to the dried herbs and fresh chopped parsley, while almond meal keeps them moist, standing in for the breadcrumbs. This dish is Whole30-approved and gluten-free.
Serve these baked meatballs alongside crispy homemade sweet potato fries with a creamy cashew sauce for dipping.
Makes 2 servings
For the meatballs:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup almond meal
2 Tbsp olive oil
For the sweet potato fries:
4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
For the cashew dipping sauce:
1 head garlic
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the turkey, egg, dried oregano, garlic powder, dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt, minced parsley, and almond meal. Using wet hands, form golf ball–sized chunks and roll them into balls, placing them on one of the parchment-lined sheets. Brush each meatball with olive oil.
- Meanwhile, prep the sweet potatoes by slicing them into thin 4-inch long pieces. Place them on the second baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt. Wrap the head of garlic for the cashew sauce in foil and place it on the baking sheet with the sweet potatoes.
- Bake the meatballs and the sweet potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes. Check one meatball by cutting into it and making sure it's cooked through. If it is, remove the meatballs from the oven. Continue baking the sweet potatoes for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until they're crispy, turning them over once halfway through.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove from oven and carefully unwrap the garlic from the foil. Let cool slightly until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins and place them in a blender with the cashews, lemon juice, and water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve the meatballs with the sweet potato fries and dipping sauce on the side.
RELATED: Easy, healthy, 350-calorie recipe ideas you can make at home.