Now you can have your cake and eat it, too—even when you're trying to slim down. This recipe features one of the most powerful weapons against belly fat that also happens to be delicious: chocolate.
Most chocolate-centric desserts tend to be full of sugar and calories, but this easy-to-make flourless cake will satisfy all your chocolatey cravings without the guilt. Bonus: this decadent delight packs a fat-burning boost from fresh berries and only takes five minutes to mix!
Chef Jason Lawless, of Parizade in Durham, NC, and formerly of New York City's White Street, demonstrates how to make the perfect 220-calorie dessert from the Zero Belly Cookbook. It only takes five minutes!
Makes 8 servings
Olive oil spray
6 oz semisweet chocolate (chips or bar)
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (non-alkalized)
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp kosher salt
Fresh berries for garnish
How to Make it
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly spray a 7-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, or a 7- or 8-inch springform pan with olive oil spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper.
3. Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat together with the maple syrup. Once melted, add the sugar and stir until dissolved, about 2 minutes.
4. Take the saucepan off the heat and whisk in the eggs one at a time.
5. Sift the cocoa powder with a sieve and whisk into the egg and chocolate mixture. Make sure there are no lumps. Add the vanilla and the salt, and mix well.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.
7. Transfer the cake pan to a cooling rack to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
8. Cut the cake into 8 slices and garnish with fresh berries. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition: 220 calories / 9 g fat / 37 g carb / 2 g fiber / 5 g protein
More content from Recipes
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – No Bake Lemon Cake Pops
- – 25 Old-Fashioned Desserts That Deserve a Comeback
- – Berry Banana Fro-Whip Recipe
- – 76 Best Dessert Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Southern Dessert Recipes
- – The Most Popular Pie in Every State, According to New Data