The Single Best Way To Store Potatoes
Russets. Yukon Golds. Fingerlings. Are you thinking about a steaming baked potato dripping with sour cream? Or maybe a tray of roasted potatoes, varnished gold with olive oil and a long trip in the oven? Whether you like them boiled, mashed, or fried, potatoes are one of those pantry staples you can use many different ways. So learning how to store them properly will save you a lot of wasted spuds.
Unlike most other produce, potatoes (yams and sweet potatoes, too) shouldn't be stored in the refrigerator. After you've brought them back from the store, inspect the potatoes for soft spots, nicks in the skin, or areas where they've started to sprout. Cut away such imperfections and cook those potatoes tonight—all others can last for up to four, even six months if stored properly. As long as your potatoes live in a cool, dry, well-ventilated space, you won't have to add them to the grocery list for months.
Store in an airy container in a cool, dark place
Place whole potatoes in a well-ventilated container, like a basket or a mesh produce bag (even a large cardboard box will do). Store in a cool, dry, dark place, like a pantry, cupboard, basement, or garage. In ideal conditions, they can up to 4 or even 6 months.
Discard moldy potatoes, use sprouted ones first
Check on your potato stash from time to time and discard any that have grown mold or have gone wrinkly and soft. If any are sprouting, cook those potatoes first (sprouted potatoes are safe to eat as long as they're not squishy or molded).
Only wash them right before cooking
Do not wash potatoes until you're ready to cook them. The residue moisture will make them rot faster.
More content from Groceries
- – 12 Secrets Cheesemakers Don't Want You to Know
- – We Roasted 5 Grocery Store Turkeys & This Is the Best
- – The One Thing You Need To Watch Out For When Buying Beef at Costco
- – The Best Apples to Use for Every Fall Dessert
- – The One Costco Rotisserie Chicken Secret You Have To Know
- – The Most Popular Dinner Foods in Every State
- – 7 Mistakes You Didn't Realize You're Making With Peanut Butter
- – People Are Grossed Out By This Potato Chips Recipe That's Going Viral