This Classic Halloween Candy Was Just Recalled From Grocery Stores in Several States
If you've already started shopping for your stash of Halloween candy, you might want to check what you've purchased before you reach for a snack or hand out any sweet treats on the spooky night. One snack company from Massachusetts is recalling its candy because it did not indicate that egg was an ingredient on the packaging.
According to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) website, Arcade Snacks of Auburn, Mass. distributed its 15-ounce packages of yellow, orange, and white-striped candy corn to markets and grocery stores across Massachusetts and Connecticut. People who have an egg allergy could experience a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction if they eat the recalled product.
The candy corn, which comes in a clear plastic container marked with the UPC number 018586001144 and a "best by" date of March 8, 2023, was distributed to the following grocers in New England:
- Johnson Roadside Farm Market in Swansea, Massachusetts
- Donelan's Supermarkets in Massachusetts
- Fieldstone Farm Market in Marion, Massachusetts
- Foodies in Massachusetts
- Windfall Market in Falmouth, Massachusetts
- Highland Park Market in Glastonbury, Connecticut
The recall was announced on Friday, and at that time, no illnesses were reported, according to the FDA. Most brands of candy corn do contain egg whites, so those with the allergy may already know to avoid it.
Egg allergies are one of the most common food allergies for children. Symptoms from an egg allergy usually happen within minutes after consuming any foods containing eggs. They can range from skin rashes, hives, and nasal congestion to vomiting and other digestive problems. Sometimes egg allergies can cause anaphylaxis, which is life-threatening. If you think you are experiencing this, seek medical attention immediately.
Consumers who have purchased the recalled candy corn are encouraged to return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund. Anyone with questions can contact Arcade Snacks at (508) 832-6300 anytime Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.
More content from Groceries
- – Enoki Mushroom Is the Most Recalled Food Of the Year
- – 34 Items Costco Is Discontinuing This Winter
- – 4 Biggest Complaints Costco Customers Are Voicing Right Now
- – Costco Shoppers Are Going Crazy for This Frozen Pizza
- – Costco Just Brought Back Its Wagyu Beef—and Shoppers Have Mixed Feelings
- – Hummus Giant Sabra Halted Production To Get Back on Track After Frequent Food Safety Issues
- – The Best & Worst Cream Cheese on Shelves—Ranked!
- – 8 Greek Yogurts With the Lowest Quality Ingredients