Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
Chicken buried in mushrooms and cream is the type of dish that's at home in a country kitchen as it is in an upscale urban restaurant. We take cues from both ends of the spectrum: brown mushrooms and chicken stock from the country, a touch of sherry and some dried mushrooms from the city. The combination of Greek yogurt and half-and-half gives the sauce richness and a lovely velvety texture without weighing it down in this creamy mushroom chicken recipe.
Nutrition: 270 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated), 420 mg sodium
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more if needed
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 oz each)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 medium shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1⁄4 cup sherry (In a pinch, sweet, fortified wines like Madeira or Marsala will work in place of the sherry.)
1⁄4 cup dried mushrooms (porcini, chanterelle, shiitake), soaked in 1⁄2 cup warm water for 15 minutes
1⁄2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1⁄4 cup half-and-half
1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
How to Make It
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and sear for about 3 minutes, until a nice deep brown crust develops on the bottom sides.
- Flip and continue to cook for 3 minutes longer, until the other sides are also nicely browned.
- Remove to a plate.
- If the pan is dry after cooking the chicken, add a thin film of olive oil.
- Add the shallot, garlic, and cremini mushrooms to the pan and sauté for about 3 minutes, until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the sherry and cook for 1 minute, using a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape loose any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the dried mushrooms (and soaking liquid), chicken stock, and half-and-half.
- Turn the heat down to low and return the chicken to the pan.
- Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the yogurt and stir to create a smooth, uniform sauce.
- Divide the chicken among 4 plates and top with the mushroom sauce.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our Eat This, Not That! magazine for even more at-home cooking and healthy eating ideas.