Crispy Cod Recipe with Sweet Potato Fries
When you order fish and chips out at a restaurant, bot of those items are most likely coming out of a deep fryer. While fish and chips are delicious to enjoy—especially after a long day laying at the beach—they aren't exactly the healthiest dish. Which is why we made our own version of it for just under 300 calories! This cod recipe, made with sweet potato fries, is made by baking the fish and chips in the oven instead of dipping them into a deep fryer. We promise, after taking a bite into this crispy cod recipe, you won't even miss the deep fried version.
Nutrition: 282 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated), 235 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 23 g protein
Makes 4 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1/3 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1 lb. fresh or frozen cod fillets, about 1 inch thick, cut into serving-size pieces
Lemon wedges or malt vinegar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a 15×10-inch baking pan with foil; lightly coat with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine 1 Tbsp. of the oil, the onion powder, 1/4 tsp. of the garlic salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Add potato wedges; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on half of the prepared baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine bread crumbs, thyme, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. garlic salt and pepper. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; toss to combine.
- Remove baking pan from oven. Carefully turn potatoes over. Place fish on the other half of the hot baking pan. Sprinkle crumb mixture onto fish; return to oven.
- Bake about 10 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and starting to brown and fish flakes easily. Serve with lemon wedges or malt vinegar.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Best Ramen Recipes To Make This Winter
- – 20 Healthy Shrimp Recipes That Take 15 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 25 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – 25 Cozy Instant Pot Recipes Perfect for Weight Loss
- – 11 Easy, Heart-Healthy Recipes To Make for Dinner Tonight
- – 8 Old-Fashioned Stews You Need to Know How to Make
- – 50+ Healthy Meals You Can Make Ahead & Freeze for Later
- – 21 Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook and Delight Your Guests