Easy Grilled Steak with Red Wine Butter
Few meals satisfy like a good steak. And few things will ruin a good steak quicker than an over-the-top, heavy sauce. That's why it's best to take your steaks simply grilled when eating out, lest you end up eating 2 days' worth of saturated fat. We'll give you steak and a slab of spiked butter for a quarter of the cost and over 500 less calories than that of a similar dish you would order at Outback Steakhouse. Eating in looks good on you, so go ahead and dig on into this grilled steak recipe!
Nutrition: 390 calories, 26 g fat (7 g saturated), 710 mg sodium
1 cup dry red wine
1 shallot, minced
4 Tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
4 steaks (flank, sirloin, skirt, or filet; 6 oz each)
How to Make It
- Combine the wine and shallot in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 tablespoons (it will have a thick, syrupy consistency).
- Let the red wine syrup cool, then stir into the softened butter with the rosemary and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Once fully incorporated, spoon the butter onto a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Fold the wrap over the butter and twist the ends to create a log of red wine butter. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat a grill, stovetop grill pan, or cast-iron skillet. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and cook until medium-rare (about 8 minutes total for skirt and flank and 10 to 12 minutes for the sirloin and filet).
- Remove the steaks and slice a coin of the butter over the top of each.
Eat This Tip
Making Flavored Butter:
Having flavored butter on hand means you have sauce in a second. Here you can learn the technique here for a potent flavor vehicle and get some ideas for great flavors!
Step 1: Mix softened butter with flavor add-ons.
Step 2: Place in the center of a piece of plastic wrap.
Step 3: Twist the edges to form a uniform log
Flavored Butter Ideas:
- Crumbled blue cheese, chives, and black pepper
- Reduced balsamic vinegar and caramelized onions
- Minced sundried tomatoes and olives
This recipe (and hundreds more!) came from one of our Cook This, Not That! books. For more easy cooking ideas, you can also buy the book!
More content from Recipes
- – 8 Baking Secrets They Only Teach You in Pastry School
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – SunGold Kiwi Salsa Snack
- – 11 Mouthwatering Mac & Cheese Recipes Way Better Than Boxed