IHOP Just Changed Its Name to IHOb—Here's Why
The International House of Pancakes no longer wants to be known just for its famous flapjacks. On June 4, 2018, IHOP flipped the 60-year-old "p" into a "b," temporarily changing its name to IHOb — and we now finally know why.
What's In iHob's Burgers?
You guessed it, the "b" stands for burgers. "We are definitely going to be IHOP," Darren Rebelez, president of IHOP, told CNNMoney. "But we want to convey that we are taking our burgers as seriously as our pancakes." The brunch spot wants to go beyond its breakfast offerings and become recognized as a joint to grab lunch and dinner at, too. In response, the chain added limited-time-only burgers to its menu including the Big Brunch, which packs in hickory-smoked bacon, a fried egg, crispy potatoes, American cheese, and the signature IHOP sauce (notice they kept the P upright). The menu also includes the Ultimate Steakburgers, which come with unlimited fries.
While these outrageous new burgers' nutritionals are nowhere to be found, we couldn't help but notice their permanent menu items' absurd numbers. We used the nutritional info for the cheeseburger to calculate the Big Brunch Burger, which has the additional bacon, hashbrowns, and an egg. The scary combo amounted to a damaging 1,130 calories and 72 grams of fat! That's beyond breposterous.
The pancake — er, burger — chain is serious about its new branding and has gone as far as updating some of its Hollywood locations' signage. However, some flapjack fans didn't take the news too lightly, declaring the move a failed marketing stunt.
Fret not, Rebelez told CNNMoney that the majority of the over 1,700 locations will continue to operate as IHOP. Until the franchise dutifully changes its logo back, find out why you shouldn't order the omelets in 50 Fast Food Rumors That Are Actually False.
More content from Restaurants
- – McDonald's Is Launching a Giveaway of a Lifetime—Here's How to Enter
- – 17 Discontinued Fast-Food Desserts We Desperately Want Back
- – McDonald's Holiday Pie Is Back at Nationwide Locations
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Never Freeze Their Burgers
- – 5 Old-School Chain Restaurant Meals We Can't Get Over, According to Chefs
- – 8 Best Fast-Food Orders for Hangovers
- – 9 Secrets You Should Know About LongHorn Steakhouse
- – 10 Best Chain Restaurant Deals and Freebies You Can Score On Black Friday