A Keto-Friendly Creamy Ham and Broccoli Soup Recipe
Following a keto diet might be a bit of a challenge at first as you get used to eating foods you might've not eaten much of before, but there are plenty of benefits to adopting this lifestyle. A study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health found that following a ketogenic diet helps control hunger levels and improves metabolic rate. The goal is to get you eating tons of healthy fat with some protein and minimal carbs, as eating this way allows your body to achieve ketosis, which is when the body resorts to burning fat for energy because you don't have much glucose to pull from. Our ham and broccoli soup recipe is proof that you can eat keto and still enjoy your favorite comfort foods.
This mouth-watering dish is made up of hunks of ham and broccoli florets, which are swimming in a rich, creamy broth that features full-fat cheddar cheese. Checks every keto-friendly box, doesn't it? And who doesn't love a warm bowl of soup? Whether it's getting colder outside and you're in the mood for something warm, or you find yourself just in the mood for some tasty comfort food, this is a healthy soup you'll turn to again and again. Plus, it only takes 15 minutes to whip up this fancy-looking bowl of goodness that's better than any you can get from a can!
Get the recipe for this keto diet-approved ham and broccoli soup.
Nutrition: 530 calories, 46 g fat (28 g saturated), 1,524 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 22 g protein
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups small fresh broccoli florets
1 cup coarsely chopped ham
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make It
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in broth, broccoli, ham, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add cream; heat through. Stir in cheese; heat until melted and smooth.
More content from Recipes
- – Wild Blueberry Walnut Smoothie
- – 5 Healthy Brown Rice Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 8 Baking Secrets They Only Teach You in Pastry School
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight