Keto-Friendly Meringues Recipe
Lighter-than-air meringues seem to be making a comeback in the food world, especially piggybacking off the popularity of the pavlova (which is basically a giant meringue topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream). They are crispy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside, making their sophisticated appearance even more intriguing. Seriously, you can never go wrong by serving meringues, they are an absolute French-dessert classic. If you want your meringues to truly stand out, get a professional-grade piping bag which will help define the intricacies of the meringues' shape and texture.
This recipe takes the meringues into keto territory, by substituting the sugar with a low carb keto-friendly monkfruit-based sugar alternative. Monkfruit-derived sweeteners have zero calories and zero glycemic index, which means they won't spike your sugar levels, while still tasting just as good as regular sugar.
Makes 42 cookies
4 large eggs whites, at room temperature
1/4 tsp lemon juice or cream of tartar
1/4 cup (48g) Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 225ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl. Using clean, dry beaters, beat on low speed, slowly bringing it up to medium speed, until whites are frothy. Add lemon juice and beat, slowly raising speed to medium-high, until whites turn glossy. Sift in sweetener and continue to beat until firm peaks form. Fold in salt and vanilla.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a plain tip, or spoon into a large ziplock bag and snip off a corner. Pipe into 1 1/2-inch rounds on baking sheets. (Alternatively, use 2 spoons to form meringues.) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until firm and just beginning to brown slightly. Turn off oven, prop open with a wooden spoon and let cool in the oven for 1 hour. Peel off parchment and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
More content from Recipes
- – 8 Baking Secrets They Only Teach You in Pastry School
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – Upgrade Your Boxed Cake Mix With These 7 Tasty Tips
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Fair Foods You Need to Eat This Summer
- – 17 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear in the South
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays