Quick and Easy Keto Macadamia Nut and Pepita Trail Mix Recipe
If you're just starting out on the keto diet, it can be tricky to plan out your meals for the week. There are pretty standard rules about what you can and can't eat on the keto diet. But if you haven't prepped recipes for this specific diet yet, you might not know where to start with the list of keto-friendly food. We've got you covered, though, with recipes like this keto trail mix.
And whether or not you're following the keto diet, this flavorful recipe gives trail mix a serious upgrade. With raw pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, and Berbere seasoning, this keto trail mix is anything but boring. Say goodbye to those sugar-filled trail mixes at the convenience store—once you've tried this recipe, you'll never go back to the packaged trail mix options out there.
Nutrition: 121 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated), 17 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 2 g protein
Makes 12 servings
1 tsp coconut oil or butter
1 cup macademia nuts, pecan halves, or walnut pieces
1/3 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) or raw sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp Berbere spice blend* (see note below)
1/8 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp cacao nibs
1/2 tsp hemp, flax, or chia seeds
How to Make It
- In a medium saucepan, melt coconut oil over medium-low. Stir in nuts and pepitas. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Sprinkle with berbere spice blend and salt. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more or until nuts and pepitas are just starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in cacao nibs and hemp seeds. Turn out onto a clean paper towel and cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*Berbere spice blend is an Ethiopian seasoning made from a mix of dried red chile peppers and spices such as cardamom, coriander, cloves, allspice, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, garlic, paprika, and cinnamon. You can find it at a spice store or in the spice aisle of a grocery store. Or substitute 1/4 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and ground ginger, plus a pinch of cayenne pepper. Or try five-spice powder or garam masala spice blend.
More content from Recipes
- – 4 Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Manage Diabetes
- – Egg Muffins with Spinach and Feta
- – Almond Cherry Smoothie Packs
- – Pecan Pie Muffins
- – Crunchy Peach Parfaits
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats