Mussels with Chorizo and Beer Recipe
There's nothing like a spicy, warm, comforting meal on a cold winter night—especially one that involves cooking with your favorite ale. This mussels and chorizo recipe uses up a few cans of beer, giving this spicy recipe an extra punch of flavor. Between the chorizo, garlic, jalapeños, and the beer, you'll love cooking up this recipe this winter, courtesy of Loaves & Fishes Farm Series Cookbook: Long Ireland Beer Co. by Sybille van Kempen with Licia Kassim Householder
"Your favorite beer will lend that particular flavor to the dish complimenting sweet mussels and spicy sausage. A pint of chilled ale for each would be delicious on the side," says van Kempen.
So grab your favorite ale to sip on and dig into this spicy mussels and chorizo recipe. And if you're looking for even more recipes that use up that ale, check out our list of 14 Delicious Things You Can Make With a Can of Beer.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Mexican chorizo, sliced 1/2-inch thick on a bias
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced into rings
2 pounds Prince Edward Island mussels, cleaned, beards removed
2 14-ounce cans strong-flavored ale
4 tablespoons salted butter
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Crusty bread, for serving
How to Make It
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add in chorizo and brown on all sides.
- Lower heat to medium and add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened.
- Add in garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add mussels and beer, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until mussels open.
- Cook for another minute or 2 if all mussels haven't opened. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Add butter and stir into the broth.
- Check seasoning, sprinkle with chopped cilantro (if using), and serve with crusty bread.
Get even more delicious recipe inspiration in your inbox by signing up for our newsletter!