There's A Huge Shortage of This Beloved Cereal
Though Grape-Nuts have been on grocery shelves since 1897, they've largely disappeared from stores amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, the manufacturer of the fan-favorite cereal confirms that it's "working hard" to end the shortage.
"People may continue to see shortages and temporary out-of-stocks on Grape-Nuts as we continue to work through supply constraints and higher cereal demand amid the pandemic," brand manager Kristin DeRock told Eat This, Not That! in a statement.
The more than 120-year-old cereal is made using "a proprietary technology and a production process that isn't easily replicated," which accounts for the delays, according to DeRock. (Related: This isn't the only shortage out there right now—here are Grocery Shortages To Expect in 2021, According to Experts.)
This information is similar to what the company told fans on Facebook back in mid-September about the cereal's disappearance. Production adjustments "to ensure the items in highest demand are available" were cited. (Grape-Nuts is a part of the Post Cereals family.)
The Facebook post said Grape-Nuts would be available again by October. For weeks thereafter, commenters reported that the iconic white and purple boxes were still missing from cereal aisles at their local grocery stores. Fans on other social media platforms like Reddit also expressed frustrations about the lack of boxes in supermarkets.
DeRock assures us that the company is "working hard to get Grape-Nuts fully back on store shelves" by spring. In the meantime, here are the 10 Best Healthy Cereal Brands. And to get all the latest news about your favorite grocery items delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our daily newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Beloved Grocery Chain Is Cutting the Prices Of More Than 100 Items
- – Butter Boards Are Everywhere, But a Major Ingredient Shortage May Soon Dampen the Trend
- – 9 Secrets You Never Knew About Hershey's
- – 5 Truths About the Meat Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – 5 Pre-Packaged Meats To Stay Away From Right Now
- – Here's What Costco Just Said About Membership Fee Increases
- – America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Testing an Innovative Self-Service Feature
- – This Adored Italian Grocery and Restaurant Chain Is About To Embark on a Major Expansion