This Popular Snack Sold in 13 Grocery Chains Is Being Pulled From Shelves
Those "popping" into the grocery store for a snack should look to avoid one brand of pre-popped popcorn right now. A recall announcement posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says the O Organics Sea Salt Organic Popcorn is being pulled from supermarket shelves because of an undeclared milk allergen. People with an allergy or sensitivity to milk may be at risk for a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume the product.
The recalled popcorn was sold in several grocery store chains like ACME, Safeway, King's, Balducci's, Jewel-Osco, Andronico's Community Markets, Vons, Pak 'N Save, Albertsons, Eagle, Carrs-Safeway, Haggen, and Pavilions in 17 states including Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Idaho, plus Washington D.C.
According to the recall notice, no illnesses have been reported. However, milk allergies may cause symptoms such as "hives, wheezing, itching or tingling around the lips and mouth, coughing or shortness of breath, vomiting," and, in rare cases, anaphylaxis—a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction, according to the Mayo Clinic. Milk allergies are one of the most common allergies in children. It's estimated that as many as 2 in every 100 children under 4-years-old are allergic to milk.
The affected bags weigh 5 ounces, have a "Best if used by" date of either 09/24/2022 or 09/25/2022, and a UPC code of 079893 or 403038. If a customer has bought this item with the date and UPC number in question, it is recommended that they not eat the product and instead return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Going grocery shopping? Costco, Walmart, and Kroger Are Putting Purchase Limits on These Items before you go.
More content from Groceries
- – 7 Strict Rules Trader Joe's Employees Have to Follow
- – Walmart Is Making Several Major Changes That Will Impact Your Holiday Shopping
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – 4 Beloved Costco Food Court Favorites That Are Now Overrated, Say Members
- – 7 Bacon Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Worst Salad Dressings for Blood Sugar
- – Major Grocery Chains Are Pulling 24 Cheese Brands From Shelves Due to a Listeria Outbreak