Skip to content

A McDonald's Shuts Down After a Rat Infestation Is Caught On Camera

The restaurant will undergo a deep cleaning before resuming business.

What would you do if you saw a family of rats roaming your local McDonald's? That's what recently happened to a Naples, Fla. customer Keysha Vega when she drove up to the restaurant's drive-thru just after midnight on Tuesday.

Her late-night ice cream stop led to a situation that stunned her social media followers, according to NBC 2. The video she shared on Instagram showed about five large rats freely roaming the restaurant's floor, while employees were nowhere in sight.

The Crossroads Market McDonald's was still open on Wednesday morning when Keysha stopped by but was closed by Thursday. A sign posted on the restaurant read "CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THANK YOU."

This particular McDonald's has maintained a clean record, incurring only minor violations such as hair net and improper food storage infringements in the past.

Mike Adams, the restaurant's owner and operator, said his McDonald's would close for deep cleaning. His statement reads:

"We are committed to providing our customers and crew members with a clean and safe dining and working experience. We were alerted to a concerning video circulating on social media and we take this situation seriously. Out of an abundance of caution, we are proactively closing this restaurant temporarily while we thoroughly deep clean and sanitize the restaurant and resolve this matter in coordination with our neighboring business within this building unit."

The restaurant will undergo an inspection by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation before resuming business. Circle K, the other tenant occupying the building, will also close its doors for a thorough scrubbing. No date for re-opening has been released.

While this is a shocking story, unfortunately, incidences like this occur daily. Restaurants in the U.S. are inspected routinely by health department personnel within the local, county, and state regions. Many of these establishments pass, but some do not. Contact your local health department if you experience a health concern or possible violation at your local restaurant.

Shaye Glisson
Shaye was born and raised in Houston, TX. She is a freelance Lifestyle/Beauty/Wellness writer and a licensed Cosmetologist with several years of writing experience. Read more about Shaye