An Easy Paleo Piña Colada Smoothie Recipe
You probably don't want to have rum with breakfast on an average weekday morning, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a paleo piña colada smoothie in the a.m. This is the perfect refreshment of your paleo smoothie routine if you're getting bored of your same old go-to recipes. Start your day off like a party and treat yourself to an umbrella-adorned coconut-pineapple-flavored breakfast that will transport you to a warm sandy beach. Blend freshly frozen pineapple (which we think is much more flavorful than the packaged fruit) with canned coconut milk, lime juice, and half a medjool date. Top it with fresh pineapple chunks or fresh cherries instead of Maraschino, and you've got yourself on island time.
While alcohol isn't forbidden on the paleo diet, paleo purists would tell you it's technically not allowed because it is both processed and a toxin. And truth be told, whatever health and personal goals you are looking to achieve by going paleo, alcohol won't really help you get there. However (with a capital H), we all have lives filled with social gatherings with friends and family, and you might want the option to enjoy a cocktail from time to time. If you're hosting such a gathering, you can use this smoothie as an easy mixer base for an as-paleo-as-cocktails-get piña colada. Spirits are usually low in carbohydrates, so as long as you keep the rest of your cocktail reasonably clean and low carb, you can indulge in an alcoholic treat from time to time. From breakfast to cocktails, this is one healthy breakfast smoothie that can actually double as a mocktail and a cocktail.
Makes 1 serving, plus extra coconut whipped cream
1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, frozen for at least 2 hours
1/2 cup well-shaken canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 medjool date
Fresh cherries, for garnish
How to Make It
- Combine frozen pineapple, coconut milk, lime juice, and date in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with fresh cherries (and a cocktail umbrella if you wish).
More content from Recipes
- – Wild Blueberry Walnut Smoothie
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – 15 Quick & Healthy Potato Salad Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 5 Best Protein Smoothie Recipes for Stronger Muscles, Says Dietitian
- – 8 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest