Paleo and Vegan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Recipe
You may not be in a habit of eating pumpkin puree outside of fall and winter pies or a slice of quick pumpkin bread, but just wait till you get your hands on this paleo pumpkin smoothie. It tastes almost exactly like pumpkin pie filling, but it's completely vegan. Start by freezing a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin (it's bursting with fiber, as well as vitamins A, E, and K) overnight in an ice cube tray. Like frozen banana or berries, freezing your main ingredient first will thicken it into a smoothie-like ice, but it won't water down the flavor and creamy texture. This is a trick you can use with other smoothie recipes, too, for those who like a thicker drink in the morning.
Canned coconut milk makes this drink super-rich, but you could use any non-dairy milk you normally drink. Add a medjool date for sweetness (1/2 to 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar will also work in a pinch). Non-negotiable, however, are the spices: ground cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. This tasty trio gives the warming holiday vibe to this smoothie (but a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice will work, too). A pinch of kosher salt punches up the warming flavor. And to channel pumpkin pie vibes, top the drink with a fat dollop of creamy coconut yogurt.
Although this smoothie seems like a seasonal indulgence, all the good fats from the coconut milk and yogurt and the fiber from the pumpkin puree still make this a much better breakfast or afternoon snack than any pumpkin-flavored product or processed treat you could pick up at the store. If you love pumpkin year-round, this is going to be your go-to smoothie no matter what month it is.
Makes 1 serving
6 Tbsp canned pumpkin, frozen overnight in ice cube tray
3/4 cup coconut milk (from a can)
1 medjool date, pitted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch kosher salt
Coconut yogurt, for serving (optional)
How to Make It
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Top with coconut yogurt if desired.
More content from Recipes
- – Wild Blueberry Walnut Smoothie
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – 15 Quick & Healthy Potato Salad Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 5 Best Protein Smoothie Recipes for Stronger Muscles, Says Dietitian
- – 8 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest