Portobello Mushroom "Pizzas" with Sausage, Bell Pepper, and Basil
Craving pizza, but trying to keep it low-carb? Use portobello mushrooms! Fill up those mushroom caps with all of your favorite pizza ingredients to make a flavorful portobello mushroom pizzas, and skip all the carbs. These portobello mushroom pizzas are also great for meal prepping if you're looking for something easy to whip up for the week ahead.
Recipe development by Sue Hoss.
Nonstick cooking spray
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
6 4- to 5-inch portobello mushrooms, stems removed and gills scraped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 oz. bulk Italian pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup lower sodium reduced-sugar pasta sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil; place a large wire rack on the baking sheet (choose a rack about the same size as the baking sheet). Coat the rack with cooking spray. In a small bowl stir together oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Brush the insides of
mushroom caps with oil mixture and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place the mushrooms, rounded sides up, on the prepared rack. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn mushrooms over.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high about 8 minutes or until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently and breaking up sausage. Remove from heat; stir in pasta sauce.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of sausage mixture into each mushroom cap. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown.
- If desired, top "pizzas" with Parmesan. Sprinkle with basil and, if desired, drizzle with vinegar or glaze.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more recipe ideas straight to your inbox.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – SunGold Kiwi Salsa Snack
- – 11 Mouthwatering Mac & Cheese Recipes Way Better Than Boxed
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes