Shrimp in Tomato-Olive-Caper Sauce with Polenta
Snag gluten-free cornmeal to make this shrimp in polenta, a flavorful weeknight dinner you can throw together in less than 30 minutes. This decadent sauce uses a white-wine base, the perfect excuse to open a bottle and enjoy a glass while you cook!
This recipe was provided by Kristine Kidd, author of Weeknight Gluten-Free.
Makes 2 servings
Olive oil, 2 teaspoons
Yellow onion, 1/2, finely chopped
Red pepper flakes
Dry white wine, 2/3 cup (5 fl oz/160 ml)
Tomatoes, 1 can (14.28 oz/440 g), preferably San Marzano
Jumbo shrimp, (16–20 per pound), 10–12 oz (315–390 g), peeled and deveined, tails intact
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Kalamata olives, 1/4 cup (11⁄4 oz/40 g) pitted, quartered lengthwise
Capers, 1 tablespoon, drained
Fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons minced
Creamy Weeknight Polenta, using thyme (omit the cheese)
for the Creamy Weeknight Polenta:
Gluten-free medium-grind cornmeal (like Bob's Red Mill), 1/2 cup (2.5 oz/80 g)
Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Parmesan or pecorino romano cheese, 2–4 tablespoons freshly grated (optional)
Fresh herbs, 1 tablespoon chopped
How To Make It
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of pepper flakes and sauté until the onion is translucent—about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil until it is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the shrimp lightly with salt and black pepper. Add to the frying pan, turn to coat with the sauce, cover, and simmer until almost cooked through—about 4 minutes. Mix in the olives, capers, and thyme and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through—about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- To make the polenta in the microwave, In a medium microwave-safe bowl, mix 2 cups (16 fl oz/500 ml) water, the cornmeal, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a generous amount of pepper. Place in the microwave and cook at the high setting for 5 minutes. Stir thoroughly, then return to the microwave and cook at the high setting for 5 more minutes. Stir well. Mix in the cheese, if using, and herbs, adjust the seasoning and serve right away.
- To make the polenta on the stove, in a heavy saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups (20 fl oz/625 ml) water, the oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and a generous amount of pepper to a boil over high heat. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Bring the mixture back to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer slowly, stirring frequently, until the polenta is thick, about 18 minutes. Mix in the cheese, if using, and herbs, adjust the seasoning and serve right away.
- Divide the polenta between 2 warmed plates, spreading it out in a circle. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over the top and serve right away.
More content from Recipes
- – 8 Baking Secrets They Only Teach You in Pastry School
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – SunGold Kiwi Salsa Snack
- – 11 Mouthwatering Mac & Cheese Recipes Way Better Than Boxed