Slow Cooker Cuban Tomato and Black Bean Soup Recipe
There really is nothing like a bowl of homemade soup when you're craving something that makes you feel all warm and toasty. We have a feeling our recipe for a classic Cuban tomato and black bean soup is one you will turn to again and again. Not only is this dish flavor-packed (thanks to the combination of the jalapeño, red, and green peppers, ham hock, onions, and all the other yummy fixings that go into a Cuban black bean soup recipe), but we make sure to keep things as light as possible. Between the reduced-sodium black beans, no-salt-added diced tomatoes, unsalted chicken broth, and the addition of Greek yogurt for a healthy garnish, you'll enjoy your 260 calories worth of a delicious soup that tastes just as good as the real thing.
Plus, the heart and soul of this dish, the beans, add protein, fiber, potassium, and zinc to make for a filling and delicious meal that won't leave you hungry in an hour like less hearty soups can. This soup can stand on its own as a full meal—no hunger pangs here!
Now, get ready to heat things up with this Cuban black bean soup recipe!
Nutrition: 261 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 679 mg sodium, 7 g sugar, 16 g protein, 8 g fiber
Makes 6 servings
2 15-ounce cans reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 32-ounce carton unsalted chicken broth
1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 smoked ham hock
1 cup chopped onions
1 medium red sweet pepper, 1 medium fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded (if desired) and finely chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Plain fat-free Greek yogurt
Sliced green onions
How to Make It
- In a small mixing bowl, mash one can of beans until nearly smooth. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the mashed beans, whole beans, and the next 13 ingredients (through black pepper). Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove ham hock. If desired, cut meat from bone and return meat to soup; discard bone.
- Top with yogurt and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
More content from Recipes
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- – Orange Creamsicle Chia Pudding
- – Whipped Cottage Cheese With Berries and Pistachios
- – Vegetable Croquettes
- – 15 Healthy Stir-Fry Recipes That Take 25 Minutes (or Less!)