Best-Ever Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Curer of colds, warmer of hearts, soother of souls: Chicken noodle soup does everything a comfort food is supposed to do, and does so without a hefty caloric price tag. But steer clear of canned chicken soup: Not only is it sparse on chicken and vegetables, but a single cup can also carry up to half a day's worth of sodium. Our version is light on the salt, but it's so loaded with chunky vegetables and shredded chicken that it could be dinner on its own. While you're at it, double the recipe and make some to freeze for later. That way, when you're sick in bed, all you need is a microwave to have yourself some nourishing soup.
Nutrition: 225 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 720 mg sodium
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled
12 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 cups shredded leftover chicken
2 oz dried egg noodles
Salt and black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make It
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, until the vegetables just begin to soften.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, until the carrots are just tender.
- Add the chicken and noodles and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, just until the noodles are soft.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Discard the bay leaf and garlic clove. Garnish with parsley before serving, if using.
Eat This Tip
How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock
Store-bought stock works just fine for every recipe in the book, but nothing compares to the flavor of a home-cooked batch. Combine scraps of chicken (back, wings, even bones from a roast chicken) with a mirepoix (onions, carrots, and celery) and herbs (bay leaf and parsley), cover with plenty of water, and simmer for an hour. Add depth by mixing in garlic, mushrooms, or even a bit of tomato paste before simmering.
More content from Recipes
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests