The Best Taco Pizza Recipe
It may sound strange, but trust us on this one. This taco pizza recipe is like having a giant tostada, but on your favorite pizza dough. To keep the calories low, we used lean ground beef or turkey breast, and reduced-sodium black beans and tomato sauce. Between all of the flavors of the taco meat and those fresh veggies, you'll be wanting to make this taco pizza for every Taco Tuesday in the future!
Recipe development by Sue Hoss.
1 cup warm water (105°F to 110°F)
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. instant dry yeast
2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Nonstick cooking spray
8 oz. lean ground beef or ground turkey breast
2 tsp. mild chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 cup canned reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 8-oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
3 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Fresh salsa (pico de gallo)
How to Make It
- In a measuring cup whisk together the water, honey, and yeast; let stand 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, and salt. Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. On a lightly floured surface, briefly knead dough until smooth. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a
warm place 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, and coriander; cook over medium-high until beef is browned, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in beans.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat a large pizza pan or baking sheet with cooking spray. Punch down dough, then stretch into a 12- to 14-inch round (or pat onto the baking sheet). Spread tomato sauce over dough; top with meat mixture, cheese, and tomatoes. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Cut pizza into wedges and top with lettuce, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with salsa.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more recipe ideas straight to your inbox.
More content from Recipes
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests