Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe
It’s amazing that multiple companies make a living selling packets, boxes, and cans of sloppy joe mix, many of them loaded with funky preservatives and fillers that even chemists would have a difficult time deciphering. All in the name of merely shaving 30 seconds off of your total cooking time.
The best part about sloppy joes is that everything you need is likely already in your pantry and spice cabinet, gathering dust, waiting for a chance to shine. Open a can, measure out a few spices (if you have children, employ them as your sous chefs), and you’ll have a crowd-pleasing dinner on the table in about 15 minutes. This recipe has the potential to become a family favorite.
Nutrition: 340 calories, 11 g fat (2.5 g saturated), 820 mg sodium
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 Tbsp chili powder
10–12 shakes Tabasco or other hot sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 whole-wheat or sesame rolls, split and toasted
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add the turkey and cook, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until the turkey is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, chili powder, and hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and the sauce fully coats the meat.
- Divide the mixture among the rolls.
Eat This Tip
Lean ground sirloin or ground chicken work just as well here as turkey. As crazy as it sounds, a few fillets of finely chopped catfish work great as well as an even healthier alternative, and it’s completely delicious, too. Plus, it’s a perfect way to sneak a little fish into your diet.
No matter the meat you choose, this yummy recipe will be just as sloppy as the classic version, so don’t forget to stock up on the napkins!