Warm Chicken Salad with Pears and Swiss Chard
This cozy warm chicken salad welcomes classic flavors of fall and is the perfect addition for busy weeknight meals. Between the pears, the pine nuts, and the peppers, this salad is as delicious as it is beautiful.
Chicken anchors this hearty salad by providing high-quality protein and nutrients like vitamin B12. And if you are hustling to get dinner on the table for little ones too, know that the chicken included in this salad is perfectly appropriate for tiny tummies as well so you don't have to double-up on the meal making.
Lean proteins like chicken are important first foods for infants and toddlers (0-2 years old) as sources of iron, zinc, protein, and choline. Specifically, choline is a nutrient that young children need for continued brain development support – and chicken can help little ones meet their daily needs. For babies who are eating solids, try pureeing chicken with no salt added chicken broth or breast milk for an age-appropriate and nutrient-packed food.
Looking for even more delicious salad recipes? Check out our list of 35+ Healthy Salad Recipes for Weight Loss!
This recipe is courtesy of Lauren Manaker MS, RDN, LD, CLEC, a member of our medical expert board. She is also the author of the cookbook The First Time Mom's Pregnancy Cookbook, where this and 74 other nutrient-packed recipes are featured.
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
6 cups chopped Swiss chard
1 pear, sliced
4 mini peppers, sliced
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wrap the shredded chicken in parchment paper, place it on a baking sheet, and warm for 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine the chard, pear, peppers, and pine nuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine
- Add the warm chicken to the bowl, toss well, and serve immediately
Get even more healthy recipes straight to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter!
More content from Recipes
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests
- – 20 Quick & Easy Dinner Ideas Your Kids Will Love
- – 65 Tasty Fall Recipes That Make Weight Loss So Much Easier
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South