Whole30 Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This good-for-you take on a comforting Whole30 shepherd's pie has a traditional ground meat filling—made savory with garlic, onion, and thyme—but it swaps the thick layer of mashed potatoes for thinly sliced and shingled potatoes. It makes the casserole feel lighter to eat, and also adds nice texture from the golden brown crispy potato layer. To stand-in for the creamy sauce and cheese topping, we pour a mixture of coconut milk and nutritional yeast over the top before baking. Everyone will love this Whole30 shepherd's pie, whether you're following Whole30 guidelines or not!
1 Tbsp ghee
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fresh thyme
3 to 4 large Yukon gold potatoes
2/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp tapioca flour
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the ghee. Once hot but not smoking, add the onion, garlic, carrots, and cook, occasionally stirring, until the onions soften—about 6 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the beef begins to brown on the edges.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and thyme, then transfer the beef mixture to a 9" x 13" baking dish or large round oven-safe skillet.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Arrange the potato slices over the top of the beef so that they overlap just slightly.
- Whisk together the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and tapioca flour. Pour this mixture carefully over the top of the casserole.
- Cover the dish or skillet tightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, then carefully remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
More content from Recipes
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – 15 Healthy Stir-Fry Recipes That Take 25 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 50 Best Vintage Southern Recipes
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 35+ Healthy Pasta Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 5 Best Recipes to Prevent Aging Bones, Says Dietitian
- – 73 Healthy Chicken Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 13 Healthy "Fried" Chicken Recipes for Weight Loss