A Low-Calorie, Tropical Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl Recipe
"Dragon fruit." How fun is that term? It's like your breakfast is taking you on a medieval quest to hang out with mythical creatures. OK, that's a bit of a stretch…but still, being able to say you're eating a dragon fruit smoothie bowl is pretty cool.
Pitaya is the other name for the pink fruit, and the bright plant has plenty of health benefits. It's a good source of fiber and magnesium, as well as antioxidants. Combined with the rest of the ingredients in this bright-hued smoothie bowl, you'll get three grams of fiber and six grams of protein—all for just 182 calories.
Plus, it's good to switch up your routine once in a while. Even if you're eating a diet rich in whole foods, it can get boring to cook with the same rotation of fruits and vegetables all the time. But we bet that dragon fruit and even pineapple aren't a regular part of your routine, which makes this the perfect recipe to switch things up. Especially in the middle of summer—it's the perfect time to try something with a more tropical twist. (If you really want to get festive, you could even serve this smoothie bowl out of the scooped-out pineapple rind!)
And in addition to the health benefits you'll get from the dragon fruit and the pineapple, this recipe also calls for a half cup of kombucha. The fermented drink is great for your immune system, and it's a good source of probiotics, too. With all the healthy ingredients, this recipe is as nutrient-packed as it is delicious.
Nutrition: 182 calories, 4 g fat (0 g saturated), 101 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 24 g sugar, 6 g protein
Makes 1 serving
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup frozen pink dragon fruit flesh
1/2 cup kombucha
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1 1/2 tsp raw pepitas
Fresh mint leaves
How to Make It
- In a blender, combine frozen pineapple chunks, dragon fruit, kombucha, water, and protein powder. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour smoothie into a bowl. Top with fresh pineapple, pepitas, and mint.
More content from Recipes
- – 6 Best Rice Recipes to Shrink Belly Fat, Say Dietitians
- – 25 Best Vintage Recipes
- – Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadew Peppers Recipe
- – 15 Quick & Healthy Potato Salad Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 21 Healthy Memorial Day Recipes That Take 20 Minutes (or Less!)
- – Savory Spirulina and Kale Oatmeal Recipe
- – 50 Vintage Recipes to Bring Back This Summer
- – 20 Quick and Healthy Fish Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (or Less!)