Best-Ever Banana Bread Recipe
Most banana bread recipes call for twice the amount of butter that we use here, but to keep the loaf moist and rich and tasting intensely of its namesake fruit, we cut the butter and added an extra banana and a bit of our favorite Greek-style yogurt. This is no breakfast of champions, but it's a healthier alternative to other banana breads or, even worse, a banana, bran, or blueberry muffin (hard to believe, but they truly are bad for you).
A slice of this will treat you well at breakfast and will still provide you with the nutrients of banana that other banana bread recipes tend to drown out with too many heavily caloric ingredients. Better yet, make it for dessert. Toast it up and serve with a bit of whipped cream for a true treat.
Nutrition: 350 calories, 12 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 27 g sugar
4 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 2 cups)
1⁄2 cup Greek-style yogurt
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp salt
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.
- Combine the bananas, yogurt, butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, stirring to blend. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet banana mixture, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake on a low oven rack for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Eat warm or at room temperature.
Eat This Tip
Banana bread can be tricked out in a variety of different ways, some making it healthier and more suitable for breakfast, while others bring a level of decadence that edges it into the dessert realm. Stir in any of the following add-ons just before pouring the batter into the pan:
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter