Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza Recipe
California Pizza Kitchen made its bones slinging unconventional pizzas topped with ingredients like pear and gorgonzola, Jamaican jerk chicken, and even a full-blown salad. But none is more famous, or strangely satisfying, than the Original BBQ Chicken Pizza, which launched CPK into the national conscience in the '80s. As good as theirs is, we're confident our barbecue chicken pizza recipe is even better. Plus, it's cheaper to make at home and has just a third of the calories.
Nutrition: 380 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated), 850 mg sodium
For the pizza dough:
1 package instant yeast
1 cup hot water
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar or honey
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
21⁄2 cups flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
For the pizza:
3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
1 1⁄2 cups shredded smoked gouda
½ red onion, thinly sliced
½ jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked chicken
Fresh cilantro leaves
How to Make It
Make the Pizza Dough:
- Combine yeast with the water, salt, and sugar or honey.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the hot water activates the yeast.
- Stir in the olive oil and flour, using a wooden spoon to incorporate. When the dough is no longer sticky, place on a cutting board, cover with more flour, and knead for 5 minutes.
- Return to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise at room temperature for at least 90 minutes.
- Keeps covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
…Now Make the Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place a pizza stone in the oven, if you have one.
- Using your hands, a rolling pin, and enough flour to keep it from sticking, stretch the dough into two thin circles, 10" to 12" in diameter.
- Spread each with a thin layer of barbecue sauce, then divide the gouda, onion, jalapeño, and chicken between the two.
- If using a pizza stone, bake one pie at a time by carefully sliding the pizza (preferably with a pizza peel) onto the pizza stone; if you don't have a stone, cook the pizzas on a baking sheet.
- The pizza is done when the crust is golden and the cheese is fully melted. Top with fresh cilantro, and cut into six or eight slices.
RELATED: These are the easy, at-home recipes that help you lose weight.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Simple Ground Beef Recipes That Take 30 Minutes or Less
- – These Are the Top 10 Trending Recipes of 2022, According to Google
- – 11 Best Ramen Recipes To Make This Winter
- – This Is Exactly How Long You Should Be Marinating Chicken, According to Chefs
- – I Made Ross' Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich With the Moist-maker—& It's Too Much
- – 13 Delicious Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- – 7 Tips to Expertly Brine a Turkey, According to Chefs
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback