An Easy, DIY Blackening Spice Recipe
Okay, so you want to eat healthy. Easy, right? Just make sure to eat lots of vegetables and lean meats, then rinse, repeat: boom, healthy menu. However, more often than not, it's the boredom and monotony of eating the same flavorless meal that will drive someone off their diet. Most of the leaner meats are mild at first in taste, but that's just before they are introduced to whatever seasoning is on the menu. Lean meats are like a blank slate, if you will, for whatever you and your tastebuds are in the mood for. So how about you stock your kitchen with a few flavor-packed seasonings so that when you're craving a big bite of something new, you can coat the same healthy meats and veggies that keep you on track in something new and zesty. Enter our healthy blackening seasoning. Coat meat, fish, or vegetables with this potent blend of seasonings and cook over high heat until it transforms into a dark, savory crust. This is a basic blueprint for blackening spice, one that you should readily tweak to fit your taste buds. Don't like heat? Cut down on the cayenne. Want a smoky note? Try a bit of cumin. Below we note that you can use either smoked or sweet paprika, but why not make two batches so you have one of each on hand? That way you'll be armed with lots of options. This recipe makes more than enough blackening spice for large meal, but after blackening one batch of fish or chicken, you'll be coming back for more in a matter of days, so feel free to double (or triple) the recipe.
Makes about 1/3 cup
2 Tbsp paprika (smoked or sweet)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne
1 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme or oregano leaves
How to Make It
- Combine all ingredients in a sealable container.
- Rub up to 1 teaspoon of the mix on catfish, tilapia, or other flaky white fish before grilling or searing in a cast-iron skillet.
- The mix will keep for up to 6 months in your cupboard.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our Eat This, Not That! magazine for even more at-home cooking and healthy eating ideas.
More content from Recipes
- – 8 Baking Secrets They Only Teach You in Pastry School
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – SunGold Kiwi Salsa Snack
- – 11 Mouthwatering Mac & Cheese Recipes Way Better Than Boxed