Fiber-Filled Breakfast Burrito
Breakfast burritos are great for busy mornings because they are easy to take with you on the go. However, take an oversize tortilla and stuff it full of sausage and cheese, and you're in for a rude awakening. By swapping out worthless white tortillas for whole wheat, swapping fatty pork sausage for the lean chicken variety, and adding fiber-rich beans and some fresh avocado, we've slashed the calories in half while increasing the overall nutrition (and deliciousness).
Nutrition: 415 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated), 625 mg sodium
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cooked chicken sausage links, diced
1 red onion, diced
6 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 whole-wheat tortillas, 10" (Note: La Tortilla Factory makes excellent 100-calorie tortillas with 8 grams of fiber.)
1 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and heated
1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese
1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
Pickled Jalapeños, optional
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sausage and onion; cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn the heat to low.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet. Cook slowly, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until the eggs are firm but still moist.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the cilantro.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels, and heat in the microwave for 45 seconds. (Or heat them individually in a dry pan until warm and lightly toasted.)
- Divide the eggs, beans, cheese, and avocado among the tortillas. Roll into tight packages, and top each burrito with salsa, more cilantro, and jalapeños (if using).
Eat This Tip
Start with a solid tortilla, and breakfast wraps and burritos become an incredible portable source of what you need most in the morning: fiber and protein. Try any of these other solid breakfast breakdowns, or take this as inspiration to make up your own great combination:
- Scrambled eggs with leftover chicken, salsa, and guacamole
- Scrambled eggs with sautéed mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach topped with feta cheese
- Part-skim ricotta topped with sliced bananas, strawberries, and crushed almonds
- Greek style yogurt with sliced strawberries or blueberries with whole or crushed walnuts