Breakfast Pizza Recipe
In years of restaurant research, we’ve seen every kind of pizza imaginable—Mexican pizza, Thai chicken pizza, dessert pizza—but, shockingly enough, no breakfast pizza. Befuddling, given just how easy and tasty it can be. Start with the ultimate breakfast bread—the fiber-dense whole-wheat English muffin—as your base and salsa as your sauce, then add eggs, ham, and cheese for flavor, substance, and plenty of protein. It beats an 800-calorie breakfast sandwich any day, and you get to tell everyone you know that you had pizza for breakfast.
Nutrition: 350 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated), 900 mg sodium
1⁄2 Tbsp butter
6 eggs, beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 oz ham, cut into thin strips
4 whole wheat or multigrain English muffins, split and lightly toasted
1 cup prepared salsa
1 cup shredded low-fat Jack or Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick pan.
- When the butter is fully melted, season the eggs with salt and pepper, then add to the pan, along with the ham strips.
- Cook, using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to keep stirring the eggs as they set.
- Remove the pan from the heat about 30 seconds before the eggs are fully done (they’ll continue to cook in the pan and in the oven).
- Slather each English muffin half with a good spoonful of salsa.
- Divide the eggs among the English muffins, then top with the cheese.
- Place all the English muffins on a baking sheet and broil (6″ from the heat is ideal) until the cheese is fully melted and browned around the edges.
Eat This Tip
These individual pizzas have Mexican flavors at the base, but breakfast pizza can be interpreted in dozens of different ways. Here are a few other combinations (all include scrambled egg as part of the creation) that will get your day off to a rousing start. No more boring, basic eggs here!
- Pesto, mozzarella, and a few slices of tomato
- Marinara, provolone or fontina cheese, and shredded chicken
- Guacamole, Swiss, turkey, and tomato
- Grilled chicken and arrabbiata sauce (spicy tomato sauce)
- Kale and ricotta cheese
- Bacon and asparagus
- Leeks and grilled zucchini