The Quickest Caprese Sandwich Recipe
The pairing of creamy fresh mozzarella, juicy ripe tomatoes, and fat leaves of sweet basil is so good that you'd be crazy not to exploit it as often as possible to make yourself look like a culinary genius. This recipe requires absolutely no effort, save for about 2 minutes of slicing and 2 minutes of toasting. Plus, it morphs easily into other dishes. Not in the mood for a sandwich? Ditch the bread and eat this as a salad for dinner. Need a quick appetizer for a crowd? Slice the baguette into rounds; toast; and layer slices of tomato and mozz and a basil leaf on top of each.
This is versatility at its fastest and most delicious. Now, what do you plan to do with all that time you cut out of meal prepping?
Nutrition: 300 calories, 17 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 410 mg sodium
1 baguette, sliced in half lengthwise
1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
15–20 fresh basil leaves
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
How to Make It
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the baguette, cut sides up, 6" from heat, for about 2 minutes, until the inside is lightly toasted.
- Rub each half with a half clove of garlic; the crusty bread will release the garlic's essential oils, giving you instant garlic bread.
- Layer the bottom half of the baguette, alternating with slices of tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves.
- Season evenly with salt and lots of fresh black pepper.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, then top with the other baguette half.
- Cut the whole package into four pieces.
Eat This Tip
Wanna add a little extra flair to your favorite sandwich? Your caprese will taste like a whole new meal when you add just a dab of your favorite spread or sauce. Here are a few healthy ideas to choose from:
- Pesto (if you don't want to add more basil to this already basil-filled recipe, you could try a kale- or cilantro-based pesto version instead)
- Olive tapenade
- Sun-dried tomato spread
- Zhoug sauce (a green, spicy, nut-free spread)
More content from Recipes
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- – Orange Creamsicle Chia Pudding
- – Whipped Cottage Cheese With Berries and Pistachios
- – Vegetable Croquettes
- – 15 Healthy Stir-Fry Recipes That Take 25 Minutes (or Less!)