The One Cereal from the 1990s You Know You Miss
Funfetti cake. Dannon Sprink'lins. Cosmic brownies. The '90s were a heyday for sprinkle-covered treats, and we aren't complaining. You could even have sprinkles for breakfast, courtesy of the now-discontinued Sprinkle Spangles cereal.
This sugary General Mills treat took your average cereal and covered it in rainbow sprinkles, because why not? The star-shaped cereal pieces were meant to look and taste like sugar cookies, i.e. the homemade ones you make with cookie cutters and the round sprinkles. Of course, no cereal can replicate the taste of freshly baked cookies. But for '90s kids, Sprinkle Spangles were a great breakfast, even if it wasn't the most healthy one.
And for more, don't miss these 15 Classic American Desserts That Deserve a Comeback.
What exactly is a "Sprinkle Spangle"?
"Spangle" is a real word—yes, as in "The Star-Spangled Banner"—but it doesn't often come up in reference to food. According to a '90s commercial for the cereal, General Mills "spangled every angle with sprinkles" to make this cereal. It doesn't exactly make sense, but there's no denying that the name of the cereal was pretty fun to say.
Aside from the fun name, what set Sprinkle Spangles apart was the cereal's mascot, the Sprinkle Genie. (You didn't think those sprinkles would spangle themselves, did you?) The purple genie was voiced by the late Cannonball Run actor Dom DeLuise and would burst in on kids' conversations, Kool-Aid Man-style, to grant their sprinkles-for-breakfast desires.
When were Sprinkle Spangles discontinued?
Sadly, 1998 was the last time Sprinkle Spangles were on store shelves. If you're feeling nostalgic for this '90s cereal, you can still relive the magic of sprinkle-covered treats with Funfetti cake mix or our Copycat Cosmic Brownie Recipe.
And for more, check out these 108 most popular sodas ranked by how toxic they are.
More content from Groceries
- – Costco Just Brought Back Its Wagyu Beef—and Shoppers Have Mixed Feelings
- – Hummus Giant Sabra Halted Production To Get Back on Track After Frequent Food Safety Issues
- – The Best & Worst Cream Cheese on Shelves—Ranked!
- – 8 Greek Yogurts With the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – This Clever Trick Will Let You Shop at Costco Without a Membership
- – 5 Grocery Store Trends You'll Start Seeing Everywhere in 2023
- – Walmart's Black Friday Deals Include These Top-Notch Food and Kitchen Items
- – 4 Best Store-Bought Pies To Save Your Thanksgiving