Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
In need of a comforting soup that will soothe your soul? This Instant Pot chicken and rice soup is perfect for just that! It preps about 8 cups of soup, perfect for your lunch (or dinner) meal prep for the week. Pair it with a large side salad and some crusty bread, and you have yourself a delicious set of meals to enjoy all week long.
Makes 8 servings
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 lb. chicken breast
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
5 Tbsp butter
How to Make It
- Turn the Sauté feature on the Instant Pot. Once hot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pot. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for three minutes.
- Add in the chicken breast, chicken broth, wild rice, dried thyme, and the bay leaves. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper, then seal the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Switch to high pressure (Manual/Pressure Cook) for 20 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot timer goes off, let it depressurize by itself for 10 minutes. Once finished, release the rest of the pressure from the valve.
- While the soup is cooking, make a roux on the stove. Melt the other 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk continuously for one minute.
- When the flour is browned, pour in the milk slowly. Whisk continuously until a thick sauce (a roux) has formed.
- Remove the bay leaves with tongs from the Instant Pot.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Switch it back to the Sauté feature. Pour in the roux into the Instant Pot, then the shredded chicken. Stir until the roux has broken up and a thick soup has formed.