Amaretti cookies are a classic Italian treat, with a feathery light texture and a pale, rustic, unassuming appearance. But don't let their humble looks fool you—these tiny little almond bombs pack a potent aroma that can fill a room with all of its nostalgic might. Now you can use this recipe to enjoy keto Amaretti cookies, which can still be enjoyed even if you follow the keto diet.
The intense almond-forward flavor of these cookies comes from the almond flour and the almond extract, but this keto version also swaps out regular sugar for alternative sweeteners, like those made from monkfruit. Monkfruit-derived sweeteners have zero calories and zero glycemic index, which means they won't spike your sugar levels, while still tasting just as good as regular sugar.
For a truly Italian experience, serve them alongside your afternoon cup of espresso or a frothy cappuccino. Or for a killer keto combo, serve them alongside one of these keto-approved coffee drinks.
Makes 32 cookies
2 1/4 cups (252g) blanched almond flour, like Bob's Red Mill
3/4 cup (144g) Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetner, Classic
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 tsp lemon juice or cream of tartar
1/2 tsp almond extract
Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener, for rolling and sprinkling
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener, and salt; whisk to combine and get rid of any lumps. In a separate large, clean, dry bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites and lemon juice until soft peaks form.
- Transfer egg whites to bowl with flour mixture, add almond extract, and fold together until completely combined (use your hands if needed).
- Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop, portion dough. Lightly dust your hands with powdered sweetener and roll dough in your palms to form balls. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Dust hands with more sweetener as needed. Place 1 tsp powdered sweetener in a small fine-mesh sieve; dust over cookies.
- Bake until cookies have firmed slightly and bottoms have turned light golden (they will hold their shape), about 23 to 26 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies directly to racks to cool completely.