How to Make Mayonnaise in Just 10 Minutes
While there are some people in the world who love mayonnaise (like myself), there are a few others who cannot stand it. When I ask mayonnaise-haters why they despise it, it's usually for the same reason: the texture. It's that mysterious white spread that people can't seem to get behind—usually because they have no idea what's actually in mayonnaise. So what if I told you that homemade mayonnaise is simply a mixture of egg yolks, oil, salt, and lemon juice—and it only takes 10 minutes to make yourself?
Would it change your mind about mayonnaise?
Since I'm a huge fan of putting mayonnaise in almost everything, I wanted to show people how to make mayonnaise at home. Because I want you to experience the joy of tasting a grilled cheese made with mayonnaise and, if you're feeling extra frisky, adding it to chocolate cake. Really, I'm not kidding.
Here's a tutorial on how to make mayonnaise at home in a mere 10 minutes.
1 cup olive oil (or 1 1/4 cup)
1/4 tsp salt (or 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp lemon juice
How to Make It
Separate the egg yolks and the egg whites
As you separate the eggs, place the yolks inside a large stand mixer and the egg whites in a bowl. The egg whites will not be needed for this recipe, so save them and make yourself an egg white omelet!
Add in the lemon juice
Add the lemon juice to the stand mixer and continue to whisk until the egg and lemon juice have fully been mixed together (about 30 seconds).
Slowly poor in the oil
Add in the oil at very tiny increments at a time (just a few drops) for the rest of the 10 minutes. This process will seem slow, and it may not seem like mayonnaise will form. Just trust us on this one. Small drops at a time until the oil is completely gone. It may even be easier to pour it straight from the bottle. Sprinkle in the salt.
Full Mayonnaise Recipe
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Add the egg yolks to a mixer and whisk.
- Add in the lemon juice, whisk until the egg and lemon have fully been mixed.
- Pour the oil in slowly, small drops at a time, as the mixer is going. This should take about 8 to 9 minutes.
- Once the mayonnaise is at the perfect consistency, sprinkle in the salt.
- Store in a small sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Best Ramen Recipes To Make This Winter
- – This Is Exactly How Long You Should Be Marinating Chicken, According to Chefs
- – I Made Ross' Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich With the Moist-maker—& It's Too Much
- – 13 Delicious Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- – The Perfect Winter Salad Does Exist—Here's How To Make It at Home
- – 7 Tips to Expertly Brine a Turkey, According to Chefs
- – 9 Secrets for Baking the Best Cake That Only Pastry Chefs Know
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback